Manchester Rules & Guidelines
Click here to view entire town code

Building permits

This is just a reminder that ALL building projects require either a building permit or a zoning certificate in order to avoid penalties. Also, NO buildings are to be located on drainage and utility easements. Please call BEFORE beginning any project. In addition: We would like to remind everyone that construction of DECKS, POOLS (above-ground and in-ground), SHEDS larger than 150 square feet* and OTHER BUILDING PROJECTS require a building permit issued by Carroll County. The permit process consists of three steps:

  1. Application is made at the Carroll County Permits Office, 225 N. Center ST in Westminster. A plot plan of your project is required and a fee will be assessed.
  2. Application is taken to the Manchester Town Office where compliance with local zoning regulations is reviewed and approved. A fee equaling 50% of the County’s fee will be assessed.
  3. The completed application is returned (faxed or hand-carried) to the Carroll County Permits Office who will then issue the permit.

Please Note: SHEDS OR STORAGE BUILDINGS LESS THAN 150 SQUARE FEET do not need a County permit. However, a Zoning Certificate from the Town of Manchester is required. Please bring a plot plan of your proposed project to the Town Office for approval. There is no charge for this certificate.


Although fences do not require a building permit, they do require a zoning certificate from the Town of Manchester. There are also several items to consider when erecting a fence.

  • If erected on a corner lot, fences must meet certain height and distance requirements. Please call the town office to avoid having to relocate your fence.
  • Property should be properly surveyed to ensure that the fence is not erected on a neighbor’s property.
  • If a fence is erected in a drainage and utility easement, be aware that if that easement needs to be accessed, the fences will be taken down.
  • No fence may be erected on any water or sewer main easement
  • No utilities can be inside the fenced area(i.e. water meter, electric meter, etc


Snow removal

All Town streets are SNOW EMERGENCY ROUTES. When the state places into effect the Snow Emergency Plan, PARKING is PROHIBITED on all streets including Route 30. All sidewalks are required to be cleared of snow and ice within 10 hours after the snow has ceased falling. If snow falls overnight, then you have until 6:00 PM the following day.

Vehicle Parking

All Town streets are NO PARKING unless otherwise indicated in the Town of Manchester Code Book.


  • Newspaper-should be place in brown bags or tied in bundles.
  • Cardboard-must be flattened, bundled, and tied no bigger than 3′ X 3′.
  • Glass, Plastic, and Bi-Metal cans-should be placed loose in recycling containers.


Grass & Weeds

Residents are reminded that grass and weeds are NOT TO EXCEED 12″ IN HEIGHT. Failure to keep yards mowed or trimmed to this height may result in a violation of Section #147-8 of the Manchester Town Code. Please be aware that the height restriction includes WEEDS, GRASS, and ALL PLANTS other than trees, flowers, ornamental shrubs and bushes and fruit and vegetable plants. Penalties for violating this ordinance are $50.00 for a first offense and $100.00 for each repeat offense.

Unlicenced vehicles

According to Section #233-1 of the Manchester Town Code, it is unlawful to keep any motor vehicle with no registration plates or expired plates on any property within the Town of Manchester unless that vehicle is enclosed in a garage or other building. Anyone violating the provisions of Section #233-1 may be found guilty of a municipal infraction and may be fined $50 for the initial offense and $100 for each subsequent offense.

Bulk trash pick up

To take advantage of the bulk trash pickup service you must call Hughes Trash Removal between the first of the month and the day before pickup. 410-374-6467.See calendar of events for brush pick up dates.

 Rental Housing

It is a violation of the Town of Manchester Code for any property owner to offer any unit for rent or allow any rental unit to be occupied with a valid Rental Housing License. Failure to comply with the Rental Housing Licensing requirements of the Town Code constitutes a municipal infraction, subject to fines and penalties set forth in the Town of Manchester Code. Rental Housing Application

Open burning

Open burning is prohibited within the Town of Manchester.

Brush Pickup

See calendar of events for yard waste and tree limb collection dates. Please place yard wastes in clear or unfastened plastic bags. Tree limbs should be no more than 4″ in diameter and should all face the same direction. All yard waste and limbs should be placed at your regular point of pickup.

Control of dogs

No owner of a dog, whether licensed or unlicensed, shall permit such dog to run at large off the premises of the owner except when it is under the control of the owner or the authorized agent of the owner by leash, cord, or chain. Should you observe stray animals, please report to the County Animal Control Office @ 410-848-4810. Note: Carroll County dog licenses are now being sold at the Manchester Town Office.

Web Design BangladeshBangladesh Online Market